Quick Facts about the BCGEU
- The BCGEU has approximately 65,000 members in 550 bargaining units across British Columbia;
- The BCGEU is one of the most diverse unions in British Columbia;
- Around half of our members - 29,000 - work in direct provincial government service.
- The other half work in a wide variety of sectors, including: community health, community social services, child care, community colleges, casinos, hotels, highways maintenance, and the Canada Line;
Structure & Governance
- The full-time BCGEU officers are BCGEU President Darryl Walker and Treasurer Stephanie Smith;
- The BCGEU constitutional convention - held every three years - is the supreme policy-making body of the union;
- The BCGEU's governing body between conventions is the Provincial Executive;
The BCGEU Provincial Executive is comprised of the President, the Treasurer and four Vice-Presidents (2 men, 2 women), Component Chairpersons and additional representatives for components with more than 7,500 members.
- B.C. government workers formed the Provincial Civil Service Association of BC in 1919.
- The B.C. Government Employees' Association (BCGEA) was founded in 1942.
- The BCGEA changed its name to the B.C. Government Employees' Union in 1969.
- The BCGEU gained full bargaining rights under the BC Labour Code in 1974.
- The BCGEU changed its name again in 1993 to reflect its expanding member base, to the B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union.