- The BCGEU has over 70,000 members from 550 different employers across British Columbia;
- The BCGEU is one of the most diverse unions in British Columbia:
- About 27,000 BCGEU members - two-fifths of our membership - work directly for BC's provincial government;
- About 17,000 BCGEU members - a quarter of our membership - work in BC's health sector (community health, facilities);
- About 10,000 BCGEU members work in community-based social services, such as community living, family services, immigrant services, childcare and more.
- We are a modern labour union that also represents Vancity and other credit union workers, casino workers, community college employees, hotels, highways maintenance, and Canada Line workers, among many others.
Structure & Governance
- The full-time BCGEU officers are BCGEU President Stephanie Smith and Treasurer Paul Finch.
- The BCGEU constitutional convention - held every three years - is the supreme policy-making body of the union;
- The BCGEU's governing body between conventions is the Provincial Executive;
- The BCGEU Provincial Executive is comprised of the President, Treasurer and four Executive Vice-Presidents (2 men, 2 women), Component Vice Presidents and additional representatives for components with more than 7,500 members.
- B.C. government workers formed the Provincial Civil Service Association of BC in 1919.
- The B.C. Government Employees' Association (BCGEA) was founded in 1942.
- The BCGEA changed its name to the B.C. Government Employees' Union in 1969.
- The BCGEU gained full bargaining rights under the BC Labour Code in 1974.
- The BCGEU changed its name again in 1993 to reflect its expanding non-government membership base, to the B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union.