Save BC Parks
Help us send a message to the BC Liberal government, to restore BC Parks funding to the 2000 levels, to reclaim one of British Columbia's most valuable natural assets. Here are some things you can do to help:
Express your concern about the neglect of BC Parks, and request that the BC government restore funding to the 2000 level of $40 million a year.
Q: How many full-time park rangers do you think there are to serve the 1000 parks and protected areas - more than 32 million acres of land? A: 10 only.
In 2001, there were 27 full-time park rangers. A decade later, their ranks have been cut by more than 60 per cent. The number of full-time-equivalent seasonal park ranger positions has also seen a 60 per cent cut.The BC government has cut $10 million from the BC Parks budget - including $2.5 million in 2009 and more than $660,000 in the last year.
More than 40 park vehicles have been cancelled. Gasoline and travel budgets to patrol BC parks were slashed. In some cases, rangers have had to consider patrolling parks by Greyhound bus or taxi, for lack of a vehicle. Some parks areas have no budget for toilet paper.
Our parks cannot take any more neglect. Infrastructure is decaying. Lack of patrols are resulting in vandalism and theft from BC parks, and an increased risk of wildfires.
Meanwhile, the BC government's own study on the economic benefits of BC Parks shows that $10 dollars in economic activity is generated for every dollar invested by the government in BC's parks system. Clearly, it is time to re-invest in BC's provincial parks system.
RANGER DANGER VIDEO - OUTTAKES
The sasquatch in the Ranger Danger video isn't just another pretty face. He is a multi-talented simian with a unique viewpoint on modern technology and culture. Watch these short outtakes from the video shoot
Post a link to this page on FaceBook & Twitter
Change your Facebook profile pic to promote campaign
You can help our campaign.
Right-click on Bigfoot or Ranger Dave's pic and save to your hard drive. Then change your profile pict, and every post you make will help promote the campaign.
Watch our BC Parks 2011 Tour video
Watch the BC Park Ranger video
E-mail Ads to Friends and Download Hi-Res Photos
|Download Hi-res PDF of leaflet|
Download a PDF copy of the current newspaper ad:
Download a PDF copy of 'Running on Empty' park ad:
From January 2011
- BC Gov't report - Economic Benefits of BC Parks (PDF) NEW! (2012)
- Auditor General 2010 Report - Conservation of Ecological Integrity in B.C. Parks NEW! (2012)
- Canadian Parks Report - Economic Impact of Canada’s National, Provincial Parks NEW! (2012)
News and Op-Eds:
- Bigfoot joins BCGEU's 'Save BC Parks' campaign - News Release, June 28, 2012 NEW! (2012)
- 'Save BC Parks' campaign Backgrounder - June 28, 2012 NEW! (2012)
- BCGEU launches BC Parks billboard campaign - News release, Sept. 2, 2011
- BCGEU President's Blog - July 2011
- Darryl Walker & Gwen Barlee Op-ed - Times-Colonist, Feb. 27, 2011 (PDF)
- BC Parks dying of neglect; Mark Hume column - Globe & Mail, July 18, 2011 (PDF)
- Outhouses lack paper: Rangers - Province, May 9, 2011
- BC Parks deserve better - Penticton Herald editorial, May 5, 2011
- No Cakes, Just cuts; Jack Knox Column - Times Colonist, Feb. 17, 2011 (PDF)
- Nothing to celebrate on BC Parks' 100th Birthday - BCGEU news release (Feb. 28, 2011)
- Auditor General report on BC Parks underfunding - Van. Sun, Aug. 24, 2010 (PDF)
- Gov't cuts funding for parks rangers - Harbour City Star, Aug. 28, 2009 (PDF)
- BC Liberals cut 40% of seasonal park rangers - BCGEU news release