Every day in British Columbia, vulnerable children, youth, and families are falling through the cracks of an under-resourced and over-stretched child welfare system. The safety and wellbeing of vulnerable children and families is being compromised because the B.C. government is not committing the resources required to protect them, with desperately tragic consequences.
Services and supports for vulnerable children, youth, and families are being regularly compromised by severe staffing shortages, excessive caseloads, and dangerous occupational health and safety risks. Quite simply, there are neither enough resources, nor enough staff; and the volume of work—measured by caseloads—are intolerable.
The campaign draws attention to the systemic failures in the province’s child welfare system by giving a voice to the workers on the frontlines of B.C.’s children, youth, and family services, including BCGEU members working the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation (MSDSI), the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD), and community-based social service agencies.
Choose Children report
The Choose Children report is meant to give voice to BCGEU child, youth and family workers' concerns. It says that child, youth and family workers face massive caseloads, severe staffing shortages and a lack of resources. The report was written using BCGEU members' inpuit input, including 3,418 survey responses and the face to face community meetings with 412 workers in 14 communities.
- Choose Children campaign checklist - April 2015;
- Choose Children message box - April 2015;
- "It's time to choose children" video - January 2015
- "Voiceless" video - January 2015
- Choose Children radio ad - January 2015
- Children at risk - The Provincial magazine story - December 2014
- Children at risk - The Provincial magazine cover story - March 2014
- Terms of Reference for the MCFD working group
- Children at risk campaign - photo gallery
Do you like this post?