Call for Nominations
Nominations are now open to fill a vacancy on the bargaining committee to negotiate a first collective agreement with your employer. Members elect a bargaining committee to work with the union Staff Representative and other elected leaders to help ensure their voices are heard and interests are protected and advanced through the bargaining process.
The bargaining committee has the following vacancy:
- One bargaining committee member
If there is more than one nominee for the position, then voting will occur.
A nomination form is attached. Note that the form requires the signatures of both the nominee and their nominator.
Nominations close on Friday, March 19, 2021 at 5:00 pm. Nominations received after this time will not be considered.
Nominees may submit one page of biographical information, endorsements or other campaign information (8 ½" x 11", black and white, single-sided) that will be distributed to members with ballots and posted on the BCGEU website if voting is required. The deadline for submitting candidate information is Monday, March 22, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. Candidate information sheets will be sent out as submitted (except that sheets submitted in colour will be distributed in black and white).
Completed nomination forms and candidate information sheets may be returned by fax to 604-2945092, by email to: [email protected]
or by mail to: BCGEU
Attn. Negotiations Department
4911 Canada Way
Burnaby BC V5G 3W3
All committee members are expected to:
- Attend caucus meetings and assist in the development of proposals for collective bargaining
- Liaise between members at the worksite and the Union regarding priorities
- Assist in gathering and distributing information from and to members at the worksite
- Attend collective bargaining sessions with the Employer
- Take notes related to the bargaining process and provide copies of same to the Staff Representative at the conclusion of bargaining
- Provide feedback and information to the Staff Representative during the bargaining process
- Participate in discussions related to the Employer's proposals, and assist in developing counter proposals
- Assist with ratification or other votes or meetings that may be held related to bargaining
No prior negotiations experience is required and training will be provided.
Leaves of absence are provided to members to allow attendance at all meetings without loss of pay or benefits.
Members are reminded that:
- The deadline to submit nominations is: Friday, March 19, 2021 at 5:00pm; and
- The deadline for nominees to submit a page of candidate information is: Monday, March 22, 2021 at 5:00pm.
Nominees may contact Staff Representative Ryan Stewart for additional information on candidate rights and responsibilities.
Staff Representative, Negotiations
Download PDF of notice here
Do you like this post?