Call for Nominations
Nominations are now open for a bargaining committee to negotiate renewal of the collective agreement with the employer. Members elect a bargaining committee to work with the union staff representative and other elected leaders to help ensure their voices are heard and interests are protected and advanced through the bargaining process.
The bargaining committee has three positions as follows:
- One Bargaining Committee Member – Burnaby office
- One Bargaining Committee Member – Kamloops office
- One Bargaining Committee Member – Victoria office
If there is more than one nominee for a position, the bargaining committee member for that office will be elected by a ballot of the staff of that office. (The member in Kelowna is considered part of the Kamloops office for purposes of this election.) The bargaining committee will subsequently select the chairperson from among its members.
A nomination form is attached. Note that the form requires the signatures of both the nominator at Part A and nominee at Part B. Nominations close on Wednesday, December 24, 2021, at 5:00 pm. Nominations received after this time will not be considered.
Nominees may submit one page of biographical information, endorsements or other campaign information (8 ½" x 11", black and white, single-sided) that will be distributed to members with ballots and posted on the BCGEU website if voting is required. The deadline for submitting candidate information is Tuesday, January 4, 2022, at 5:00 p.m. Candidate information sheets will be sent out as submitted (except sheets submitted in colour will be distributed in black and white).
Completed nomination forms and candidate information sheets may be returned to the BCGEU Negotiations Department by email to [email protected], by fax to 604-294-5092 or toll-free 1-800-946-0244, or by mail to:
BCGEU Negotiations Department
4911 Canada Way
Burnaby BC V5G 3W3
Duties of Committee Members and Chair
All committee members are expected to:
- Attend caucus meetings and assist the Staff Representative in the development of proposals for collective bargaining
- Liaise between members at the worksite and the Union regarding priorities
- Assist in gathering and distributing information from and to members at the worksite
- Attend collective bargaining sessions with the Employer
- Take notes related to the bargaining process and provide copies of same to the Staff Representative at the conclusion of bargaining
- Provide feedback and information to the Staff Representative during the bargaining process
- Participate in discussions related to the Employer's proposals, and assist in developing counter proposals
- Assist with ratification or other votes or meetings that may be held related to bargaining
The bargaining committee chair is normally the main liaison between members, the bargaining committee, and the staff negotiator, and is expected to participate fully as a committee member and to take a leadership role within the committee and bargaining unit during and following negotiations.
Leaves of absence are provided to members to allow attendance at all meetings without loss of pay or benefits.
Members are reminded that:
- The deadline to submit nominations is Friday, December 24, 2021, at 5:00pm; and
- The deadline for nominees to submit a page of candidate information is Tuesday, January 4, 2022, at 5:00pm.
Nominees may contact Staff Representative Ryan Stewart for additional information on candidate rights and responsibilities.
Staff Representative, Negotiations
Download PDF of notice here
Download Nomination form here
Do you like this post?