Nominations are now open for shop steward positions for the BCGEU Instructors bargaining unit in the Carpentry Department. If you are interested in becoming a steward or know someone who is, please fill out the nomination form attached to this notice.
What do stewards do?
Stewards are the primary union representatives of members at the worksite. Some of the roles of a steward are:
- Helping co-workers interpret and understand their collective agreement.
- Supporting co-workers in meetings with management.
- Listening to co-workers about their issues.
- Acting as a liaison between the worksite, the union local and the BCGEU's area offices.
- Communicating about broader local issues and training opportunities within the union.
- Making sure all co-workers are in the loop by updating the union bulletin board.
What skills do I need to be a steward?
Stewards are well-organized, good listeners, problem solvers and team players. They have good communication skills, and want to help others. No additional experience is required and the Union will provide you with training on your new role.
How do I become a steward?
If you are interested in becoming a steward, please have another BCGEU member in your bargaining unit fill out the attached nomination form to nominate you and return it to the Lower Mainland Area Office no later than 5:00pm on Tuesday, January 12, 2021 with attention to Larisa Mills:
Email: email@example.com or
Larisa Mills, Staff Representative
Do you like this post?