Info on Covid-19, click for more information

COMPONENT 20 - ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNICAL AND OPERATIONAL

Component 20 includes members who work for the B.C. Government engaged in engineering support and inspectional duties at the technical level, as well as those charged with protecting and regulating natural resources or ensuring the quality of the environment.

NEWS & UPDATES

June 02, 2020

Nominations for Local 2005 Executive Vacancies - BCGEU

Nominations are now open for the following vacant position on the local 2005 executive:   1st Vice Chairperson  Recording Secretary  4 Member-at-Large positionsone member-at-large position to be filled by a young worker representative (29 years of age and younger)     The term is the remainder of a three-year term (TBD). Information on the responsibilities and activities of each office is ava...

May 28, 2020

Glass Lewis endorses shareholder motion questioning Thomson Reuters’s (NYSE, ...

Burnaby – One of the world's leading independent proxy advisory firms, Glass Lewis, has recommended that Thomson Reuters (NYSE, TSX: TRI) shareholders vote FOR a proposal filed by the B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union (BCGEU). The proposal calls on the Thomson Reuters board to produce a human rights report that addresses the impacts of contracts with Immigration and Customs Enforceme...

May 27, 2020

Eligibility for premium pay for BCGEU members in the B.C. public service - BCGEU

Eligibility for premium pay for BCGEU members in the B.C. public service   We have received messages from our membership asking why they were excluded from the premium pay offering. We are also disappointed more sectors were not included and rest assured, we're continuing to speak to the government about expanding it. We are not able to answer some of the questions we've received because we don...

May 22, 2020

Your union and WorkSafeBC guidance for re-opening - BCGEU

Your union and WorkSafeBC guidance for re-opening  Over the past 10 days, your union's executive, component vice presidents and Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) team provided input to the Workers' Compensation Board (WorkSafeBC) as they developed guidance for sectors that are re-opening, as per the B.C. government's Restart Plan.  We provided feedback on protocols and best practices to help...

May 20, 2020

BCGEU releases investor brief calling on Thomson Reuters (TSX, NYSE: TRI) to ...

Ahead of the Thomson Reuters (TSX, NYSE: TRI) annual meeting of shareholders on June 3, 2020, the BCGEU has released an investor brief about its shareholder proposal, raising concerns about human rights impacts at the $8-billion software and media company. The Proposal asks the Thomson Reuters board to investigate and disclose whether it has adequately assessed and mitigated the reputational an...

May 19, 2020

Provincial government announces details of pandemic pay program for essential...

In mid-April the federal government announced it was working with the provinces on a cost-shared, temporary "pandemic pay" program to top up the wages of select essential frontline workers-under the cost-share, the federal government is responsible for 75 per cent of the funding and the provincial governments are responsible for the remaining 25 per cent. Ever since the initial announcement, yo...

May 19, 2020

BCGEU calls for expansion of B.C.’s pandemic pay program for essential workers

BURNABY, B.C. – Today the B.C. government released long-awaited details of a federal-provincial cost-shared pandemic pay program to temporarily top up the wages of some essential workers. The B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union (BCGEU) is calling on Victoria to expand the program to cover more essential frontline workers. "The BCGEU pushed hard for this program to cover the broadest po...

May 14, 2020

Local 503 and 2003 - Richmond Distribution Centre (RDC) Calling In – Sick Lea...

As per the FYI sent out on March 5, 2020, the Union had concerns about the Employer's previous policy which indicated you must call in every day of absence. On May 5, 2020, the Employer released a revised memorandum in respect to call-in policies for all leave requests at the worksite. In this memorandum, the Employer has advised all members that if you know the duration of your absence, you sh...