Call for Nominations
Nominations are now open for the bargaining committee for the upcoming round of collective agreement negotiations with the Employer. Members elect a bargaining committee to work with the union Staff Representative and other elected leaders to help ensure members' voices are heard and interests are protected and advanced through the bargaining process.
The bargaining committee has three positions, as follows:
- One bargaining committee chair
- Two bargaining committee members
If there are more nominees than positions available, then voting will occur.
Those members who are interested in the bargaining committee chair position and in being a member of the bargaining committee if not elected chair should complete two nomination forms: one form for the bargaining committee chair position and one form for a bargaining committee member position. Nomination forms for "Chair" and "Member" are attached. To be considered valid, a nomination form must be completed in full, i.e. signed by both nominee and nominator.
Nominations close on Monday, November 4, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. Nominations received after this time will not be considered.
Nominees may submit one page of biographical information, endorsements or other campaign information (8 ½" x 11", black and white, single-sided) that will be distributed to members with ballots and posted on the BCGEU website if voting is required. The deadline for submitting candidate information is Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. Candidate information sheets will be sent out as submitted (except that sheets submitted in colour will be distributed in black and white).
Completed nomination forms and candidate information sheets may be returned to Ryan Stewart by fax to 604-294-5092, by email to email@example.com or by hand or mail to:
BCGEU Negotiations Department
Attn. Ryan Stewart
4911 Canada Way
Burnaby BC V5G 3W3
Duties of the Chair and Committee Members
The bargaining committee chair is normally the main liaison between members, the bargaining committee and the staff negotiator, and is expected to participate fully as a committee member and to take a leadership role within the committee and bargaining unit during and following negotiations.
All committee members are expected to:
- Attend caucus meetings and assist the Staff Representative in the development of proposals for collective bargaining
- Liaise between members at the worksite and the Union regarding priorities
- Assist in gathering and distributing information from and to members at the worksite
- Attend collective bargaining sessions with the Employer
- Take notes related to the bargaining process and provide copies of same to the Staff Representative at the conclusion of bargaining
- Provide feedback and information to the Staff Representative during the bargaining process
- Participate in discussions related to the Employer's proposals, and assist in developing counter proposals
- Assist with ratification or other votes or meetings that may be held related to bargaining
Leaves of absence are provided to members to allow attendance at all meetings without loss of pay or benefits.
Updating Member Contact Information
To help ensure all members receive a bargaining survey (after the committee is in place) and bargaining updates, members are asked to ensure the BCGEU has a current personal email address on file. Members are getting a new membership card this fall, so members are also asked to ensure the BCGEU has a current home mailing address on file. For more information on the new membership cards and instructions on how to confirm or update personal contact information, please visit www.bcgeu.ca/card-questions .
Members are reminded that:
- The deadline to submit nominations is: Monday, November 4, 2019 at 5:00pm; and
- The deadline for nominees to submit a page of candidate information is: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 5:00pm.
Nominees may contact Staff Representative Ryan Stewart for additional information on candidate rights and responsibilities.
Staff Representative, Negotiations
Do you like this post?