As you know, your Bargaining Committee spent a full day in mediation on June 8, 2017. Mediator McArthur has now released his recommendation for settlement. Attached is a copy of the Mediator's recommendations for your review.
The recommendations can be summarized as follows:
- All items tentatively agreed to up to June 8, 2017, which include some housekeeping and improvements to language regarding respectful workplace, vacation scheduling, and casual call-in
- Three year term from April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2019
- A lump sum equivalent to 2% of straight-time hours worked between April 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017
- 1.5% general wage increase, effective July 1, 2017
- 1.5% general wage increase, effective July 1, 2018
- $0.25 increase to the Shelter Coordinator classification
Your Bargaining Committee is tasked with acting in your best economic interest. The Mediator made some comments that persuaded your Bargaining Committee to use the recommendations as the basis for a tentative settlement. The Mediator's persuasive comments can be found at the bottom of page 3 of the recommendations: "Even a short term dispute would create a significant economic loss for the Union's membership as compared to this package."
Your Bargaining Committee agrees and so has used the Mediator's recommendations on the outstanding items as the basis for a tentative agreement. This agreement is subject to your ratification. Your Bargaining Committee recommends that you vote "YES" to accept the tentative agreement.
This settlement isn't what we hoped for but your Bargaining Committee believes that it is the best that can be achieved.
Voting will take place as follows:
Thursday, June 29
2nd Floor Boardroom
138 East Cordova
Drop in from 7 am to 5 pm to cast your vote
The bargaining committee will be available to answer questions regarding the tentative agreement and details will be available at the time of the vote.
Thank you for your continued patience and support.
Your Bargaining Committee:
Selena Kongpreecha, Staff Representative – Negotiations
Do you like this post?