WILLIAMS LAKE AREA OFFICE
November 19, 2018
The B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union requires a staff representative to work in the Williams Lake Area Office, effective date to be determined.
· Assist officers, stewards and membership in the day-to-day administration of their union by attending membership meetings; assisting in union elections, preparing and conducting ratification votes;
· Advising union membership on union policy and procedures;
· Negotiating collective agreements and contract administration through the handling of grievances up to and including expedited arbitration;
· Teaching courses for stewards and local officers;
· Assisting in or leading organizing campaigns, both internal and external;
· Representing the union at local labour councils and conventions; and
· Will be required to develop grassroots campaign plans to advance the interests of the union's membership as well as engage members and recruit activists.
· Experience in the trade union movement is essential;
· Ability to deal with union leadership and employer representatives;
· Ability to prepare concise written reports and handle a large volume of correspondence and ability to speak in public;
· Must have an understanding of the goals and values of the labour movement;
· Must have a solid understanding of organizing principles. Proven experience in union organizing drives will be an assest; and
· Demonstrated ability to develop activist skills and maintain an effective working relationship with union and community activists.
Travel is required, therefore, applicants must hold a valid B.C. Driver's Licence.
The BCGEU supports employment equity. Workers of colour, women, aboriginal workers, LGBTQ+ workers, and workers with disabilities are encouraged to apply for positions with the BCGEU.
Resumes will be accepted by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, attention to:
Stephanie Smith, President, c/o Lisa Trolland