May 17, 2019
The B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union requires a temporary organizer to work in the Organizing Department. Term of assignment is up to 12 months. Effective date to be determined.
To perform a wide range of duties associated with organizing in the public and/or private sectors. To respond to calls and contacts from prospective members and to effectively develop organizing campaign strategies, including employer research, recruitment and mentoring of inside committees, communications strategy, protecting workers' rights and getting out the vote.
- Applicants must have demonstrated ability to organize workers, communicate effectively with diverse groups and deal with employers on organizing related matters.
- Ability to provide input for the development of campaign materials and assist with matters related to applications to the Labour Relations Board.
- Ability to mentor others and work in a leadership role with strong team-building and interpersonal skills.
- Extensive experience as an organizer is required.
- Experience as a union activist and a functional knowledge of the structure of the Union would be an asset.
- Working knowledge of databases (Nation Builder), online discussion forums and social media.
Travel is required, therefore, applicants must hold a valid B.C. Driver's licence.
Although not required, it would be an asset if applicants for this position are able to communicate in a second language (e.g. English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Punjabi, Tagalog) with the ability to translate union/labour terminology.
The BCGEU supports employment equity. Workers of color, women, aboriginal workers, LGBTQ+ workers, and workers with disabilities are encouraged to apply for positions with the BCGEU.
Submit applications no later than 5:00 pm, Friday, May 24, 2019.
Resumes will be accepted by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, attention to:
Stephanie Smith, President, c/o Lisa Trolland
Do you like this post?