Last Friday, July 6th, was the first meeting of your All-Stewards Committee. The group of many of your stewards met to discuss workplace issues and work on ideas as to how we can better advocate for workers at Protrans. At Protrans, you have an excellent group of hardworking, dedicated stewards who are assisting members every day.
Stewards are the face of the union at your worksite. The steward's role is to enforce the collective agreement and protect your rights. Your stewards were elected by the members at your worksite, and come from all the different departments at Protrans.
Stewards do far more than deal with grievances and complaints. Stewards also:
- Act as liaison between the worksite, the local and the area offices.
- Sign up new members to the union at the worksite.
- Encourage you to attend local meetings to learn more about matters that affect you.
- Help you interpret and understand their collective agreement rights.
- Communicate about local and union issues and educational opportunities.
- Ensure the union bulletin board is current.
- Refers members to committees on specific issues, such as the Labour Management and Occupational Health and Safety.
- Listen to you.
Left to Right: Paul La Rosa, Vanessa Batres, Stephen Rayson, Kirsten Campbell, Amber Edwards, Shant Khachadur, David Barton, Guy Crooks
Megan McKinney, Staff Representative
Protrans All-Stewards Committee
Download PDF of notice here
Do you like this post?