Did you know the BCGEU is a component of the National Union of Public and General Employees? The National Union of Public and General Employees (NUPGE) is a family of 11 component and three affiliate unions. The BCGEU is a component of the National Union of Public and General Employees (NUPGE). Just like the BCGEU, our national union offers its own scholarships program. There are nine scholarships of $2,500 available to the children (including foster children) and grandchildren of BCGEU members or retirees.
The online application portal is now receiving applications for our National Union. 2023 Scholarships can be found here: http://nupge.ca/scholarships/ In addition, the web page contains the unique entry requirements for each scholarship. Please note the deadline for applications is Friday, July 7 at 9 p.m. EDT at which time the portal will close.
Entrants may apply to any or all scholarships that they are eligible for but only one award may be received. Due to the eligibility rules for the Young Worker Scholarships, applicants may apply in subsequent years, providing they have not previously won this scholarship, they are still in school, and are under the age of 31. All scholarships come with an award of $2,500 and there are a total of nine annual scholarships as follows:
- Brian Fudge Memorial Scholarship
- Scholarship for Black Students
- Scholarship for Indigenous Students
- Scholarship for 2SLGBTQIA+ Students
- Scholarship for Students of Colour
- Terry Fox Memorial Scholarship
- Tommy Douglas Scholarship
- Young Worker Scholarships (2 to be awarded)
Entrants must be:
- the children or grandchildren, or the foster children or the foster grandchildren, of members or retirees of the National Union's component unions or its affiliates; and
- planning to enter the 1st year of a Canadian public, post-secondary educational institution on a full-time basis in 2023.
Please note that some criteria for scholarships have changed. The qualifications required for the Scholarship for Indigenous Students have been modified. As well, all scholarships are now open to students with a full or part-time course of study leading to a diploma or degree. The part-time course load option has been added as a result of a constitutional resolution.
For further information please phone 613-228-9800, or email Deb Sonego at [email protected]. or check out on their website here: https://scholarships.nupge.ca/
Do you like this post?
BCGEU Headquarters is on the unceded and shared traditional territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skxwú7mesh (Squamish) & Səlí̓ lwətaʔ (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples.